Requirements for foreign students who would like to study English at GTKEC:

Foreign students must be in possession of a valid study permit before entering South Africa for study purposes.
Application for a study permit can be done at a South African mission in the student’s Home Country.

In terms of the revised Immigration Act, one of the requirements for foreign students is that they must provide proof of medical cover. The organisation by which a student is covered must be registered with the council for Medical Schemes. Please visit Momentum Health below for further information:

For more information contact the Department of Home Affairs, Republic of South Africa at: and search Study Permit requirements.


Foreign students need to be registered by the centre before they are able to apply for a study permit. The following details are required by the Centre in order to register a Student:

  • Full names
  • Date of Birth
  • Copy of Passport
  • Intended date of arrival
  • Applicants are required to take a pre-course assessment upon arrival, which allows the Student to be suitably placed.
  • Students on Study Permits must have an 80% attendance record, failing which they may be reported to Home Affairs.
  • Fees are payable in advance by the 5th of each month.

International Students must apply for a Study Permit in their country of origin, if they wish to study in South Africa.

To obtain a Study Permit, you will need:

Proof of Registration and payment from the respective College

A study Permit application – apply at the nearest South African Embassy.GTKEC admission requirements.

The Embassy will require:

Medical Insurance

Medical Certificates (x2) – Get the standard forms from the South African Embassy

Police Clearance

Repatriation deposit

Bank statements as proof of financial sustainability in South Africa

It is a great privilege to further your education in South Africa and this opportunity is granted on the invitation of the institute to which you have applied.



Only apply for a Study Permit if you are going to study in South Africa. If you have a Study Permit and you are not studying, the relevant College which you are registered with, must report the matter to the local authorities who will conduct an investigation

Please note that the process for obtaining a Study Permit in South Africa is exactly the same as in the Student’s Home Country, however we recommend that the Student applies in their Home Country which will assist them in their Home Language. 

Getting To Know English does not offer immigration services. If you need assistance with visa-related matters we can refer you to an Immigration Agent.